Sunday, June 1, 2008

Farmer's Market

The farmer's markets are all in bloom these days- in the past week I've picked up potatoes, shelled peas (turned into a side dish with butter from the local dairy and mint from the yard), cherries (early yet, but irresistible- turned into chocolate covered cherries, plus plenty eaten "as is"), lots of greens (mixed with garden lettuce, purple ruffles basil, and cinnamon basil for a salad), garlic scapes (made into garlic scape pesto with walnuts and olive oil, and also mixed with ground beef and local spring onions to toss with pasta). Quite a variety for this early.

The past week I made rosemary bread, raisin bread, drop biscuits, and two different kinds of cornbread. I bought yeast in bulk. I have plenty of flour. We'll see how productive I can be once I go back to work this week, but I've been learning recipes for good baked goods that are easy to make.

This promises to be a good week, work aside. The CSA box arrives on Thursday (with eggs), and on Wednesday our local milk, cheese, grass-fed beef, and chicken will be delivered to our milk box. Tomorrow we gather strawberries at a pick-your-own for eating, canning, and freezing. So more blogging about food adventures to come!

No comments: